Friday, March 1, 2013

Black Bolt
"The Power of The Tongue"



To kick things off with this new Marvel series, I'm introducing a character that many people have never even heard of. I present to you Black Bolt, the leader and king of the Inhumans.

The Inhumans are a new race that diverged from humanity through genetic experimentation that started with a major Marvel alien race called the Kree (I won't even get into them here). The Inhumans are not humans (obviously) but they are not mutants either. Merely a new species in itself. If you're confused, it's ok. You don't need to understand the Inhumans to get what I'm going to talk about here with Black Bolt.

Proverbs 18:21 says:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit."
There is perhaps none who could better understand the ramifications of this verse than Black Bolt himself. Black Bolt's main ability lies in the power of his voice. Through his voice, Black Bolt releases quasi-sonic energy that has incredible destructive power. In layman's terms, whenever Black Bolt speaks ... it's gonna get messy. Even the slightest whisper from his mouth has enough force to destroy a mountain. At its greatest potency, the force generated through Black Bolt's most powerful scream would be equal to that of the detonation of a nuclear weapon... This is one voice you never want to hear.

I know we like to try to think before we speak, but could you imagine being Black Bolt? Knowing that anything you say would have devastating and deadly power? What if we could cause untold destruction with a simple word? According to God's Word ... we can. Not quite like Black Bolt's scenario (praise the Lord!) but the power of the tongue is never something to be underestimated.

I know our ability to speak damage seems like quite a far cry from Black Bolt's destructive power, but the truth still stands. We can really cause serious destruction with our words. Yet the second half of Proverbs 18:21 offers hope. There is also life in the power of the tongue. "And those who love it will eat its fruit." I believe this applies not only to loving the words of life spoken, but also having a deep respect for silence when it is indeed golden. This world we live in HATES silence. But we are not of this world, it is merely where we dwell. Like Black Bolt, we are "aliens and foreigners" to this world, not biologically, but by being made new through Jesus Christ.


God, way too often I say stupid things that hurt others. Sometimes I just need to keep my mouth shut in order to avoid destruction. I pray Lord that You would help me and every one reading this to be mindful of our words now more than ever. Teach us to love and appreciate the incredible power You've given us in our ability to speak, the same ability You used to create all that we see today. Help us to guard our hearts, for out of them spring the issues of life. And Holy Spirit guide me to watch my words with Black Bolt intensity, knowing that every syllable released, or not released, can bring either life or death. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Brian

p.s. It had to be irritating for Black Bolt how many times people attempted to play paper football with the field goal device on his forehead.

6 comments:

  1. Proverbs all day. Words....

    I don't know if it's just my computer, but the image of BB isn't showing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It showed up for me. But, I changed it. Hope it's showing up now for you.
    Thanks for reading bro. Proverbs and words "all day" indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't see the image initially, either.
    As usual, I liked the post:).

    Words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Black Bolt - Scary!
    Blog - Truth!

    ReplyDelete