Tuesday, February 19, 2013

It's 5:00 AM ... my eyes are heavy and I could easily crash just by leaning over and letting my head hit a surface, but for some reason I don't want to. So here I am now in the blogosphere. An unlikely destination at such an hour, but it is where I have arrived nonetheless.

Sleep is such a peculiar matter. A few years ago, I would have considered it a blessing if I had the mysterious super power, I trust no one does, to never need sleep. How much more could we accomplish if half our lives were not spent lying down with our eyes closed and our minds wandering off unrestrained? I suppose it's a childhood mindset that never really left, but I've always had a disinclination about sleep, especially naps. While I still personally prefer my days napless (not to be confused with Indianapolis) I have now, thank the Lord, come to the point where I no longer, at least not nearly as much as I used to, sneer at those of you who do enjoy your occasional naps. Good for you.

I don't like sleep. First of all, it's scary what your mind can do to you when your in the sleeping state. You're in no control whatsoever and .... (Time out. I'm listening to Brian Regan as I'm writing this and, as you can imagine, it's EXTRA funny given the current hour. "Donut Lady" currently if you must know the specifics. ... Time in) As I was saying, when the realm of sleep is entered, our minds are at the mercy of our imagination, and that is indeed a frightening place to be for some of us. Dreeaams ... there is depth I could write about on this topic alone, but again, given the hour, I dare not attempt such a thing, both for your sake and my own.

Regardless of what we dream of, or don't dream of ... ("Suff-O-cotting" hahaha).

To this day, I'm still not a fan of sleeping, but I've come to recognize, or at least better understand to an extent, why God made it. The physical energy regained by sleep is the obvious gain, but I believe the greater gift of sleep is the extended period of time for our mind to shut down. I don't mean physically shut down of course, but you all know what I mean, for everyone reading this has fallen asleep before. I now know that God did not make each day 24 hours long by accident. Nothing the Lord does is an accident. Or as Michael Tait likes to say, "God don't make no junk." (Yes, double negative, I know. It's not my quote, but the point remains.) God, in His infinite wisdom, knows that we can only handle so much and then not only our bodies, but our minds as well, need a respite. 6:15 AM. It is with this knowledge that, though I still don't really like it, I thank the Lord for sleep. And with that, it is time I finally go get some....

Simultaneous good night and good morning,

Brian

2 comments:

  1. Oh Brian...
    This made me chuckle.
    Your use of the word "blogosphere".
    The Indianapolis comment.
    The "time out".
    The double negative (you know why!).

    I greatly value my Sunday naps, you know this. Sleep is good for us, so long as it isn't too much... I think I was just saying this recently, wasn't I?

    And as far as dreams go... the realm of sleeping & dreaming is a fascinating one. I encourage you to pray over your dreams. Imagination can be at work there, yes... but God also can speak to us there! Pray for sanctified, holy, prophetic dreams Brian:). I believe with my whole heart He will give them to you.

    ReplyDelete