Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"I've been waiting for this time all day long
So that we can be all alone
Worship You with my heart, my soul, and my mind
And leave it all behind." - Disciple (Not Since Breakfast)

I've been convicted by the lyrics of this old-school song multiple times. It makes me ponder: Of all the moments in my day, what is the one I look forward to the most? Is it that moment I get off of work? Is it the reading? Is it enjoying the simplicity of the little joys throughout the day? Or is it the moment that I get to come into the very Presence of the King of Kings, my Lord & Savior? Oh, how many years this last option was completely absent! I can only imagine how painful this was for the Father to watch His child, longing just to be with him, yet watching his eyes wander to other things, fake and temporal things. All the while He just wanted to be with me. It's the very reason He sent His Son ... love!

On the daily 7-11 shift that B&N has had me working at the present, I'm given bountiful amounts of time once that morning shift ends, every moment of which is a gift, that I can choose to do a variety of things with. Today was productive and nice. Lots of reading took place, including an in depth look at a few select verses in Jeremiah 38, as well as other books. I only seriously got into reading as one of my favorite things to do about a year ago, and I'm lovin' it more and more! I'm so thankful for authors that God has used to speak to me. Proverbs 9:10 says, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." (NKJV) God has shown me that if I truly love Him and desire Him, I will have a deep longing to know more about Him, His very character. This is a crucial part of the Christian walk, but there is another element which is even more important.

After a lengthy afternoon, I finally fell to my knees to spend time with my God and what happened next brought me to tears. A lot of times, it takes a while to enter into the presence of the Lord, and then we experience Him in that moment, and we come alive. But tonight, no more than 10 seconds after my knees hit the ground, I felt God speak to me a statement that both broke me and filled me with beautiful joy. I believe this is what I heard Him say to me:
'I've been waiting for this all day. I love when you read & seek knowledge of Me, and when you enjoy the simplicity of the carefree life. But there is nothing I love more than these moments.'
I teared up almost instantly as I felt His love so powerfully. After some time, a thought in line with the path of my day came to my mind. I believe this was also the Holy Spirit teaching me a very important lesson. Reading about the Lord and learning about the knowledge of the Holy One & our walk with God is a wonderful thing. But spending one on One intimate time with God is far better. This hasn't diminished my passion for reading, but rather enhanced it by giving it its proper place.
"... knowledge of someone does not guarantee intimacy with them." - John Bevere
We can know all there is to know about God, our human nature, and Scripture itself and still be far from God if what we learn and read never gets past our mind and into our heart, our will. Another way to view this idea is to take a picture of a close friend in hand. It's nice to see them and think about them, but I'd much rather spend time with that friend and be right there with them, for it is in those moments that encouragement, love, and laughs are shared, and we get to know one another better as the relationship/friendship is grown.

God, help me to always take the time just to be with You everyday. And may it not just be a routine moment of the day ... but rather my favorite and most anticipated part of each day, because I know it's Yours as well.



Brian

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Brian! This was so beautiful. Convicted me, for sure!(Praise God!)
    It's awesome to see what the Lord is doing in your life- Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've already stated what I would say in response, but I shall say it again ... Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good word. Something every Christian has to truly come to a realization of in their own life.

    One of the few areas where contentment is undesirable. Always be hungry to know God MORE!

    ReplyDelete